Tuesday 18 December 2012

Cats - They’re So Lovable!



I’ve had dogs.  I’ve had birds.  I’ve had reptiles, rodents and fish galore.  I enjoy them all, but I’ve got to admit that it’s cats that steal my heart.  I have three and I adore them equally – each in their own special, unique way.

Cats are low maintenance creatures and generally keep to themselves.  They’re also affectionate and loveable – and oh, so funny!  I’ve lost count of the number of times my cats have had me in stitches. It’s also said that cats feed off negative energy and have a calming influence.  I have personally experienced this when a friend gifted me with Velvet after my parents died.  I can honestly say I don’t know how I would have made it through my grief if it weren’t for Velvet.

Velvet is a Calico cat and I call her my laundry cat.  Every time I hang up my washing, she’s there, rubbing against my legs and inviting me to scratch her furry tummy.  Then playfully swats my hand away and runs, then she returns for more.

My other two, Tarzan and Prada, are her offspring and I wouldn’t swap them for anything in the world.  Tarzan is an antithesis of his name – he’s a lover rather than a fighter and my son can pick him up as much as he likes – he’s floppy and he doesn’t give a hoot.

Not so with Prada – she’s still small and fragile despite being a full-grown feline, a princess to the core.  She’s the one who makes a dainty beeline for my lap the moment I sit on my couch, cuddling with me as though she hasn’t seen me in yonks, making a conversation with me all the while.  She makes these gigantic eyes whenever anyone else comes near.  But bounce a little marble or a bead on the floor and she’s after it like a bullet and then meows mournfully when she loses it under the fridge for the umpteenth time.

All three wait for me to get home.  Velvet will be tripping me along the way to the door, Tarzan plods behind and Prada follows me, light-footed, along the wall (all the better to be out of Velvet’s reach).  As I open the front door, Velvet shoots through the cat door, thinking that it’s a game of who gets home first. 

All three are as diverse as can be – despite the fact that they’re related.  As are my friend’s two cats, also Velvet’s offspring.  Pandora (identical to Prada in every way including size, except her face is rounder) delights in washing herself with – I kid you not – the fresh water put out for her every morning.  It is quite an amazing sight to behold as she dips her little paw in the water and rubs her face with it.

Pandora’s brother, Felix, is the fluffiest cat you’ve ever seen and such a gentle soul.  Unfortunately he gets the short end of the stick with Pandora, who loves using him for bat practice – the blockhead just takes it from her.  He loves his food though, and is fat and content.  But woe betide that he should get in Pandora’s way for any reason that she should choose.  Maybe she remembers something that he did to upset her three weeks ago and decides it’s time to smack him again.

Cats also keep mice, rats and insects at bay – just my kind of pet!  So yes, cats provide lots of fun and laughter and gentle companionship.  I’d recommend a cat as a pet anytime!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you - your message will be posted after moderation.